Integrated Energy Systems

Image
integrated energy systems icon

Powering Tomorrow

New sources of power generation are needed to meet skyrocketing world energy demand. Penn State researchers innovate solutions and lead efforts that support scalable, abundant, safe, affordable, and clean energy.

Generating Results

As society continues to increase its energy consumption needs, improvements in energy sources, efficiency, infrastructure, policy, and management will become increasingly important to the process of stewarding natural resources.

Penn State researchers are searching for methods to meet the world’s need for reliable energy sources while considering the economic, environmental, health, and climate effects of energy generation.

Research areas include biomass energy, coal utilization for fossil and renewable energy, global unconventional shales, solar photoconversion, and wind energy.

Penn State is a leader in research on clean and efficient energy utilization strategies for engines, turbines, fuel cells, refrigeration, and many other devices. The University also leads in smart energy systems by focusing on topics such as CO2 capture, sequestration, and utilization, energy storage, and smart infrastructure.

    Penn State engineers advocate for new ways to facilitate a global conversation about energy consumption, including how much energy is being used, the fuel sources that generate electricity, and how different parts of the world can reduce its carbon footprint.

    Integrated Energy Systems Research

     

    Featured IEE Researchers

    Professor, Mechanical Engineering
    Professor, Architectural Engineering

    More Researchers by Topic

    Find more researchers studying integrated energy systems by clicking on any of the following topics:

    Batteries Solar Electricity Energy Policy Energy Storage Hydrogen Power Shale Gas Wind Energy

    Energy University

    Energy is a Pennsylvania tradition. Energy has been a top industry in the Commonwealth since colonial times and is a field where Penn State has been a leader for over a century.

    Image
    solar panels

    Penn State is committed to advancing Pennsylvania’s global leadership in responsible and effective energy production and management.

    In partnership with industry, government, and community stakeholders, we are collaborating across disciplines and campuses to address the globe’s most vexing energy challenges. We already rival the best of the world’s energy universities, with leading contributions in all aspects of energy research for the future. But we need to do more.

    The stakes are high: affordable, accessible, clean, safe, and abundant energy is essential for humankind to survive, thrive, and progress. To ensure our global future, we must all work together to secure our energy future.

    Energy University Forum #1 materials and recording

    Energy University Forum #2 materials and recording

    Register for Energy University Forum #3: Energy Outreach

    Prospectus for Energy Research, Education, and Outreach at Penn State

    We will continue building on our promise to provide the research, innovation, and leadership to achieve a bright and sustainable future for the Commonwealth, nation, and world.

    Read Full Prospectus

    Featured News

    What’s the hype about 5.8%? I’m worried about the other 94.2%

    A recent analysis by the International Energy Agency (IEA) concluded that annual carbon emissions declined by 5.8% in 2020 because of the COVID-19 global pandemic. From a historical perspective, a 5.8% reduction is huge—nothing like it has occurred in our lifetimes. But from a COVID-19 perspective, how can it be so small?

    Addressing the energy, environmental complexities of urban areas

    Because cities are such complex human-created systems, the Institutes of Energy and the Environment created a new research theme, Urban Systems, which will address the essential and urgent needs for sustainable, healthy and affordable solutions for urban areas.

    Mentions: Tom Richard, Bruce Logan, Erica Smithwick, Shirley Clark, Hannah Wiseman

    How we talk about energy

    Penn State engineers wrote a letter, recently published in ACS Energy Letters, that proposed new ways to improve global energy literacy to help combat climate change.

    Mentions: Bruce Logan, Jacqueline O'Connor