Penn State research labs asked to reduce activity by March 24. Click here for information and resources.

The health and safety of Penn State employees and the community are our priority. Many IEE employees who are able to telecommute are doing so until at least April 30. If support is needed, contact our staff directly via phone, email, Microsoft Teams, or email us at

Following the latest message from President Eric Barron, all Penn State employees are following University guidelines.

At this time, IEE is operating remotely as we continue to serve our mission and strive to protect our staff and community during this unprecedented and challenging time. Penn State research labs, including the Energy and Environmental Sustainability Laboratories (EESL)​, have been asked to reduce activity by March 24. To assure that the right staff is available to assist you, please send an email in advance.

Thank you all for your commitment to our health, our families, and Penn State.

Health and Safety

The Pennsylvania Department of Health has the latest virus information and tips to keep your body and mind healthy.


Penn State research labs have been asked by the University to reduce activity by March 24. Additionally, OSVPR recommends that all researchers create a contingency plan to prepare for the event of a full campus closure. Research-specific information is available from OSVPR.

Facilities and Services

Non-essential research operations will be suspended at the Land and Water Research Building and Energy and the Environment Laboratory (EEL) by 5 pm on March 24 and remain suspended until further notice. This includes research group laboratories in the EEL building as well as the Energy and Environmental Sustainability Laboratories (EESL):

  • Radiocarbon Lab
  • Water Quality Lab
  • Center for Quantitative Imaging
  • Organics Lab
  • Deployable EESL

Graduate students conducting research for their dissertation or as part of a research assistantship are expected to continue their research activities remotely, in consultation with their faculty advisors.

If you are continuing essential research as defined by the University and require the use of IEE facilities, please contact Tom Richard ( to discuss your situation.

Questions about facilities should go to Alan Witmer ( or Gwen Bryson (

In Case of Emergency

Be sure to verify or update your contact and emergency contact in Workday.


Penn State students, faculty, and staff are urged to restrict their travel. All University-sponsored air travel is suspended through April 20.


Employees whose jobs allow for telecommuting should do so.

IT Support

IT questions and needs can be sent to Central IT or IEE's Chris Pfeiffer ( In-person support may be requested and scheduled.


Regardless of the size of the meeting or event, all non-essential meetings and events should be canceled, rescheduled, or offered virtually until April 30.

The Institutes of Energy and the Environment (IEE) will work to update our event calendar as dates, times, formats, and locations change, but please note that our information may be inaccurate during this time period. If you are scheduling/rescheduling/canceling an event that you would like us to update or add to our calendar, please send information to Kevin Sliman (